Monday, June 4, 2012

Is it ever too late? A book review of the Never Too Late Series

As a single mom with absolutely no prospects in sight I have been diving head first into books full of love and debauchery. It's woken the romantic in me and it is helping me have hope for my own future of love in my later life. After reading the Never too Late Series by Donna McDonald, I realized that moms, workaholics and prudes can find love in their later lives and have it be as exciting as it was when they were in their 20s. I loved the series and can’t wait for the next book to come out

Dating a Cougar, Book one of the Never Too Late series, is about Alexa, a 50-year-old divorcee, ex-model turned business woman. She owns a lucrative lingerie company and she had practically given up hope to have a normal relationship. Who would have thought that the failing relationship of her daughter Jenna would bring a man into her life that would open up so many possibilities for her? Casey Carter, a medically retired marine who walks with a cane, proved that a cane does not inhibit his sexual desire or his attraction to the opposite sex. Alexa and Casey come together and flames erupt but would their attraction turn to more?

I loved this book and was so eager to move on to the next book. I got wrapped up from the first page, diving head first into Alexa Ranger's life. I love reading about how life does not end after a divorce. Not that Alexa Ranger stop dating after he divorce but what she never  found in all the other guys she found in Casey. I was able to mentally escape into this book and being the Pisces that Iam imagine that I too will find a love like this. Not that I’m a hot ex-model turned business woman but I am a single mom and love and passion have no age or boundaries.  This book gave me everything from doubt, frustration, hope, heartache, and finally ultimate satisfaction. Wink wink.

Dating Dr. Notorious, Book Two of the Never Too Late Series, is about a successful sex therapist, notoriously famous for the content in her books and her seminars. Regina Logan, a spinster going thru pre-menopause, has no problems talking candidly about sex and how to get sex but does she herself enjoy the notorious life the media has assumed she has?? Ben Kaiser is a widower, persuaded to go out and get to know the world again after he secluded himself in his work after his wife passed away. Who would guess that one event would bring the Doctor and the recluse together to begin an affair to remember and envy?

Book Two showed me that not everything is how it seems and even famous people can have their own insecurities in themselves. Again Donna McDonald captured me with the prologue and confusing hot flashes with hot dreams. I adored seeing how a middle age widower and a premenopausal therapis tacted like complete hormonal teenagers. But the difference between teenagers and two grown adults is that eventually they took rein of their hormones and knew life might get in the way. What can be lost and what can be gained?  Is lust enough to establish a relationship with Dr Notorious? After reading this chapter in the Never Too late series, lust is powerful but combine that with love and watch how explosive things really can get.
Dating a Saint, Book Three in the Never Too Late series, is about Lauren McCarthy finding something she never wanted to find, LOVE AND SEX. After losing faith due to her failed marriage she had all but given up on finding love. Jim Gallagher was the only man that could ignite her fire but it was wrong. A married man with a heart made of gold. Would he find a solution to a cause close to his heart?  Would the Saint push aside social decorum and her mother’s ideals and follow what her body and heart tells her?
As Donna McDonald has proven not everything is at it seems. This book truly proved that it really never is too late to find happiness. And once you embrace it, the flood gates open and it just keeps going and going. This had to be one of the best of the series. After reading the other two books, personally I would have jumped on Jim, married or not, but as the true saint Lauren is, she held out and in the end was rewarded.

Dating a Metro Man, Book Four in the Never Too Late series, goes into a story line that was first introduced to us in Dating a Cougar. Meet Jenna Ranger, Alexa Ranger's very stubborn bull-headed daughter. What had Seth done to deserve such loathing from Jenna? Seth Carter, nephew of Casey Carter,and the metro man that got under Jenna’s skin. No matter how many hotties she dated she just could not get Seth out of her mind or her heart. Through the other books you could see how Seth came to the realization that he needed, desired and loved Jenna. Now it was Jenna’s turn to come to that realization.

Jenna's journey was driving me crazy. I literally wanted to shake her to knock the stubborn out of her. Sometimes love can be all consuming and can make us so frazzled; wanting something so much that we can’t see the many other scenarios that bring us to the same conclusion. Book four also brings forward Allen Stedman, one of Jenna’s attempts to forget Seth. The hot, hot, bodybuilder, security personnel for Casey Carter, personal assistant in training to Alexa Ranger. Does Stedman find love? I won’t fill you in too much but let’sjust say... IT’S NEVER TOO LATE.

Sure a great pair of sexy red underwear and fabulous supportive matching bra can make you feel sexy but so can the never too late series.  This series left me feeling giddy and eager to embrace my own sexual awakening with that one great person that comes along.

I am unsure as to why lately all the books I’ve been reading have been about sexual awareness but it’s helped me walk taller and feel sexy in my own skin. As a Pisces, I live day dreaming and having books that help me explore my dreams has been great. But these books are not only about sex. Each of the women in these stories has embraced their age, their looks, their careers and their own paths. Making success out of the lemons the tree of life has given them. They empower me to make my own lemonade.

I am eagerly waiting for book five and see whose story I will get caught up in next. 
Have you read this series?? What did you think?
And don’t forget follow us on twitter at @readingandwinenand follow our blog for more book reviews and updates on meetings.

      
     XoXo,

   Letty

*follow me at www.momoftornado.wordpress.com Tales of a Frazzled Mom. 


** Dating A Cougar, Dating Dr. Notorious , Dating a Saint& Dating a Metro Man all written by Donna McDonald**
Disclaimer: All opinions expressed in this article are solelyof my own and not influenced in any way by anyone. No compensation was received for this post. 

2 comments:

  1. I loved every book in this series and am looking forward to reading the next one, Dating a Silver Fox. Donna's newest series, Next Time Around Series, is off to a fabulous start with Next Song I Sing. You will love it too!

    Karen Lawson

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was fortunate enough to meet Donna in April at a Writers conference; she is a great gal who has written a series that I have practically inhaled...I found love the second time around at age 47 to the love of my life/soul mate ~ I love Donna's talent at being able to capture women in the prime of their sexual/sensual lives ~ and I thank her for it! I highly recommend everything she's written and I cant wait for more!

    ReplyDelete